Wednesday 27 July 2011

Immobilise

Ever lost your car or door keys, I do it all the time. I then do a concerted search all three floors of the house only to find them in my pocket. Its a talent that only comes with experience.  Now that we are down to a single key for the car and we have been for some time this started me thinking about recovering lost items. Then I thought, what if we are ever burgled how could I give a description of say the Flat screen TV or my Laptop computer to the police.

So I decided I should make an itinerary of all of our valuable items at home and on the boat. Item type, make, value and serial number would be a good place to start. It would be easy to create a database on my laptop and.... Ah! but what if my laptop is stolen... No, I need a much better system than that.

After sulking in the naughty corner for a while, cogitating and scheming on various ideas about dissuading burglars by use of a Klingon death ray. I decided to do a quick search of the web for something to make a contents inventory. Someone somewhere must have a way of addressing my issues. Bingo! I came across Immobilise an online site where useful details of all of your property can be recorded. Somewhere safe from my absent mindedness and the doings of the local scrotes. Its also free to use.

So what is Immobilise exactly?

From the Immobilise website "Immobilise is the world's largest FREE register of possession ownership details and together with its sister sites the Police's NMPR and CheckMEND, forms a very effective tool in helping to reduce crime and repatriate recovered personal property to its rightful owners.

Immobilise can be used by members of the public and businesses to register their valued possessions or company assets, and exclusive to Immobilise all account holders registered items and ownership details are viewable on the Police national property database the NMPR.

This online checking service is used by all UK Police forces to trace owners of lost and stolen property. In addition Immobilise is checked daily by a huge range of recovery agencies and lost property offices including the Transport For London Lost Property Office.

As a direct result of Immobilise there are over 250 cases a week where property is returned or information collected that assists the Police in investigating criminal activity involving stolen goods. Immobilise is also the only ownership registration service supported by all UK Police forces, the Greater London Authority, Transport for London and the Mobile Phone Industry.

Immobilise is a free service with over 24 million members and is promoted by Police forces throughout the UK. That sounds like a good idea to me, so I have registered for an account and started to upload our inventory.


Later....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.