Sunday 14 June 2015

Tips For Boaters (2)

Well, I suppose I am a sort of anti-smoking evangelist. Although I have not smoked for over forty years. I do remember on one occasion about twenty years ago. While we were out and in an inebriated state enjoying a new years eve meal. A friend proffered me a cigar and I had it in my lips before I remembered that I did not smoke.
However, I do remember those cigarette cards, usually held together with an elastic band. Cards that we used to collect as a kid. Often with either pictures of our sporting hero's or some gorgeous, busty actress. cigarette makers began inserting the cards as blank stiffening to make the thin paper packaging stronger in the pocket.Then someone must have thought, why not make the cards more interesting each with their own image and a short note on the reverse.
So here is an example of a cigarette card to offer a tip or two that just might come in useful while out on your boat. 


Get knotted is a phrase that you will hear on the canal from time to time. It seems to be a term of endearment used by full time boaters when addressing hire boaters. It is just another way of caring and sharing along the canals. Which remeined me that there are a number of knots in everyday use along the canal.

 One or two of the knots are popular with boaters. The Memsahib has an extensive range of inland waterways knots that she uses. I know that she has an extensive range, because in the last five years she has never used the same knot twice. Some seem to be very decorative with more than a passing resembalance to a back button. As you can imagine this type of knot can take an inordinate length of time to complete. Others are quite simple and I find to be quite memorable of the first time I tried to knot my shoe laces as a kid.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the cards that came in packs of loose tea. Can hear youngsters saying what`s loose tea.

    ReplyDelete

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.