Wednesday 22 April 2015

A new star of the theatre is born.

Well it was something of an interesting day yesterday. I was up extra early (the sparrows were still wiping the speep from their eyes) and out on the road by 6:30 am. Now this is normally the time when I am pulling all the aches and pains together and gritting my teeth. Prior to getting up and then slobbing in an unkempt heap before enjoying my first cup of coffee for the day. I was going on a flying visit to the theatre in Sheffield today. But this time it was not to sit in the audience seats at the Lyceum or the Crucible. I was not going to watching a play or a band. Today, I was to be the guest and principle participant.

It was a modern hospital drama that I was going to be taking a part in. Soon on arrival, various people were soon faffing around as I was being made up for my appearance. The costume was a bit flimsy and I had to wear a covering over my hair. In no time at all I was soon wheeled out on set and I took up my position centre stage. I watched as the various camera's were being positioned. The lighting adjusted and the other cast members all took up their various positions. The off stage technicians in the wings had their equipment turned on and ready. After a few nods and the odd thumbs up  acknowledgement we were ready to roll. It was time for 'Action' which I knew would be followed some time later by 'Cut!'

My part was quite an onerous one to play and I admit that there were a few stressful moments. But I like to think that the old consummate professional (some might say acting the fool) shone through. I soon started to relax and was quickly getting more and more absorbed into the role. The dialogue was not to difficult and I am pleased to say that never fluffed my lines. As they say in acting parlance. I did not break a leg, though I am pleased to say that I never corpsed either.

Life is full of twists and turns, and it was purely by accident that I came to be here. In a roundabout way, my visit to the theatre had been brought about by my ever dwindling level of available power in my battery bank. You could say that since I had retired, my leisure battery was also indicating that it was also going into and age related retirement mode of its own. In fact the battery bank was quickly giving up the ghost.

It was a long day that started at 8:am and continued through until lunch at 12:30. Butternut squash and bacon soup was the starter. It might not sound appetising, however it was quite delicious. It came with a brown crusty roll and to be honest I could quite happily done a good pastiche of 'Oliver' and asked for more. Before you knew it lunch was over (I actually missed out on the ice cream) Soon afterwards my day in at the theatre as 'principal boy' also came to an end.

I will be doing autographs requests later...

Yesterday, also marked a sad point, as I lost a dear and close old friend. After eleven and a half years my old pacemaker was replaced. This morning I am feeling a bit bruised and sore. It could be said that for the next few weeks I have to take it easy until everything has healed. Somehow I don't think that taking it easy will be much of a challenge.

Its time to go cruising.....

Standby everybody 'Action' ... time to hit the  'Cut'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.