Monday, 23 April 2012

The Big One (4-2)

Monday 23rd of April 2012.

Pollington Lock Visitor Moorings to River Went Aqueduct

We were awoken by the first large barge of the day at 7am. I enjoy the inadvertent early morning wake up call. A cup of coffee for me and a cup of Chai for the Memsahib. The movement of water created by the barges is such that even though we are on mooring rings, I have had to deploy springs to reduce and cushion the boat movement. The weather has been dire, so we made a good choice to move in the watery sunshine and showers yesterday. In-between the breaks in the rain, I have been splitting a few logs to aid the drying process. We salvaged a plastic sheet from the canal which has been used to provide some shelter for the remaining logs.

The field opposite the visitor moorings has a small flock of sheep and we have been watching lambs come in to the world. The photograph was taken at long distance during a heavy shower. The new born lamb can just be made out on the right of the Ewe. 

After a short time the lambs are up and about on spindly shaky legs. The older lambs are already chasing around the field and doing what lambs like to do. That reminds me - I need to add the mint sauce to the shopping list.

At Pollington next to the visitor moorings is a rather interesting capstan operated swing bridge, which the farmer can use to get to his fields on the other side of the canal. The swing bridge is normally left in the open position.

Wildlife was a bit sparse today because of the dreary weather. In the main consisting of Swallows, Black Headed Gulls, Greylag Geese and a few Mallards

17:30 At long last the clouds part and a bit of weak evening sunshine breaks through. The ideal time to enjoy a short evening cruise and move on to our next overnight moorings. A few boats moored up in out of the way places. A Barn Owl was observed quartering a field. out before sunset means that the last few nights have been due to the weather unproductive for hunting. We observed the owl drop to the floor - so maybe a welcome meal was on offer. Later, we spotted a large bird of prey, it was to far away for a clear identification - but the local crows who would normally gang up on a bird of prey. Were all up in the trees and keeping well out of harms way. 

18:30 We arrived at the River Went Aqueduct. Just before dark, a pair of Great Crested Grebe came swimming by busy feeding. 

The Dutch River and The River Went are over their banks and the nearby fields are in flood.

21:30 The Humber Princess passed us on her way to Rotherham heavily laden with a load of oil. Moving at a very slow speed as she crossed the River Dun and River Went aqueducts. We could feel her movement in the water for around a quarter of an hour after she passed.

The last time we were here we had a few Pipistrells and Daubentons bats that we detected and the eerie calls of a couple of Tawney Owls from the nearby woods.

Daily Total
Miles: 2.4
Locks: 0
Swing / Lift Bridges: 0
Tunnels: 0
Pump Outs: 0
Engine Hours: 1.6

Accumulated Totals
Miles: 633.6
Locks: 645
Swing / Lift Bridges: 103
Tunnels: 6
Pump Outs: 8
Engine Hours: 2080.8


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.