Wednesday 26 September 2012

The Big One (24-7)


Wednesday the 26th of September 2012

Dutch Riverside

More rain overnight and some more showers during the day.


I started on a job that has needed doing for a while. I found that the adjustment of the second alternator belt had reached its limit. The cost of a Beta belt was quite significant. So I removed the belt and looked for any identification numbers. 6K2041 was the only number I could find. 

I rang around the usual places and found a supply of the belts in Goole. £10.50 per belt - so I ordered two. I decided to replace the old belt back in place until I get the new items. As I was replacing the belt I noticed that the alternator mounting bracket was a bit loose. I had to remove the engine lifting bracket to get to two bolts that were quite loose. What was obvious the bolts had been left loose at the time the engine was built. I tightened up the bolts, which in turn gave more adjustment on the alternator. Now there was enough movement to tighten the belt again! 

Fossdale H is moored across the canal from us at Goole. She has a full load of aggregates and was sitting down deep in the water. This morning when I looked at the barge I could see she was sat much lower in the water. The name on the bow was just about underwater. An inch or so and the gunwales would be under. 

We have had a lot of rain and as the holds are open I assumed that it was a build up of rain water. I was mulling over whether to get in touch with the port authority when a I heard an engine start up. Looking over at Fossdale H there was someone on board who had started up a diesel pump and water was pouring over the side. A couple of hours later she was back to normal.

Later in the day I looked over and I could see she was back down in the water again. I was about to call up the Port Authority when the diesel pump started up again. Two hours later, as it was going dark she was just about back to the usual level. I hope the pump is not going to be running all night!

Saw Nb Poppy on the BBC Local News on TV tonight. The boat is in York stranded on a pontoon mooring with people aboard. Poppy was moored next door to us at Museum Gardens just before we made a run for the safety of the canals at Selby.

Wildlife: Large skein of Geese heading south east.

Daily Total
Miles: 0.0
Locks: 0
Swing / Lift Bridges: 0
Tunnels: 0
Pump Outs: 0
Engine Hours: 0.0

Accumulated Totals
Miles: 1285.5
Locks: 866
Swing / Lift Bridges: 161
Tunnels. 22
Pump Outs: 14
Engine Hours: 2455.0

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.