Friday 15 November 2013

Podcast (2)

I have written previously about my Apple iPod that I use as a relaxation through entertainment mainly at bedtime or occasionally when I am out walking the dogs. I have found myself chuckling away at a comedy program only to get a few strange looks from people walking the towpath. Now I wear a pair of bright pink ear buds which make it more obvious that I am listening to something and that I have not lost the plot. I find that the iPod is ideal in such situations because of its small size. 

For a bit more background on the ever growing world of podcasts you can read my original posting on Podcasts and podcasting. Click Here.

So what have I been listening to recently in the digital world of podcasting. 

As some of you will know one of my many interests is astronomy.  Going right back to my childhood and watching the Sky at Night series with the late Patrick Moore. Astronomy has moved on in leaps and bounds in that time.



As Comet ISON draws near to its close approach with the Sun in November, much uncertainty remains over how brilliant it will be. Dominic Ford speaks to Matthew Knight at the Lowell Observatory to find out more. 

Dominic Ford also talks to Apostolos Christou from the Armagh Observatory about a group of asteroids which closely follow the orbit of Mars, and appear to be fragments of a much larger pair of asteroids which collided.


Jacques Cousteau and his research ship the Calisto was another of my favourte programs on TV. The marvel of the sub-aqua equipment and the freedom of movement that it gave the divers when compared to the old diving suites.  Once again the changes that have taken place have made diving available to almost everyone. I even have a Padi certificate from a diving course I did a few years ago in Turkey. 


In the first of a two-part finale to this season of Naked Oceans Sarah Castor Perry takes a whistle-stop tour of the history of life in our seas, from the earliest forms, right up until the present day, stopping off at some of the big milestones (and creatures!) along the way. 

Sarah Castor Perry also dips her toes into everything from bacteria to ancient marine reptiles, early human fishing to deep sea exploration.

Who knows maybe you might be able in the future to listen to a podcast with the soft dulcet tones of a dyed in the wool Yorkshire cynic. Who might just wax lyrical about all things with good, bad and indifferent aspects that he comes across as he makes his way along the canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.