Sunday 15 March 2015

Freedom of Information Request (1)

I don't know about you - but the Canal and River Trust Guidance for boaters without a home mooring is confounding and confusing many people. So I decided that first of all I would need to clarify a few things for myself first of all.  The problem with emailing directly to the trust is that you can't guarantee to get a reply after the email is passed on internally. At the NABO annual general meeting.  Dean Davis remarked that he was finding it difficult to get people internally within CaRT to realise that customer service and customer expectations also applied to everyone. So I have decided to submit a freedom of information request.

I will report back on any developments.


Dear Canal and River Trust.

This freedom of information request is being submitted as a boat licence holder and mooring holder. I have read the Canal and River Trust Guidance for boaters without a home mooring. However I understand that the guidance is equally applicable to boats with a home mooring.

From my reading of the Canal and River Trust Guidance for boaters without a home mooring. I find it difficult to calculate or even estimate a distance that the Canal and River Trust would deem acceptable to satisfy your enforcement criteria when we are cruising away from our mooring. I feel that I am not alone in this confusion and the plethora conflicting opinion being expressed on social media would seem to support that I am not alone.

Notwithstanding the preamble above.

1) Can you confirm that the Canal and River Trust Guidance for boaters without a home mooring, is also applicable to all boat owners. Including those with a home mooring while cruising away from that mooring.

2) Could you please inform me of the required minimum distance that the Canal and River Trust deem as being acceptable to satisfy your enforcement criteria when we are cruising Canal and River Trust inland waterways.

If there is not a precise minimum distance:

3) To enable me to satisfy myself and yourself that I am fully compliant with the Canal and River Trust Guidance for boaters without a home mooring. Could you please provide me with a formula, including a worked example, which I can use to aid understanding and to calculate the required distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.