Sunday 3 August 2014

Rocking the Boat.

I watched an amazing thing happen this morning. Being up early, my attention was grabbed by the sound of the approach of a small narrowboat - about 35 feet in length. I could see that the approaching boat was not travelling very quick, the engine was certainly not racing. I sat down in my chair, yet when the boat passed, our boat did a bit more of a lurch than the movement I had expected. I went into the pram cover and stood watching as the boat moved on its way down the canal. It was an old guy at the tiller - long grey hair and a flowing beard. The boat had seen better days, but the engine sounded sweet.

I was about to go back inside, when my mouth dropped open. The little boat was just about three quarters past another boat a short distance ahead. When the bod on the tiller pushed the tiller over full arc for a second, then full arc in the other direction for a second - before centring the tiller and continuing on his way. I thought maybe he was avoiding something in the water, until he did the same manoeuvre while passing the next boat along! Then it dawned on me - the old git was giving everyone an early morning wake up call.

It takes all sorts to make the world go round and the old father time look-a-like was certainly doing his bit. So a few of us will have rolled out of bed on the wrong side this morning. But then there was a small amount of retribution, as the rain started to fall very heavily. There was no sign of any sort of shelter on his boat. Not even the usual umbrella or wide brimmed hat that most of us carry, just in case. As I came back inside - I muttered to myself - have a nice day! But the more I think about it - the more I have to smile at myself....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.