Thursday 7 February 2013

Masonic stuff.


I was asked by another boater if I was interested in the masons. My initial comment instinctively would be no. I have had family members who were masons, but to be honest I have not had any real interest in the subject. Being part of a secret society like the masons, would be a bit like being part of Cameron's big society. Full of rhetoric and hocus pocus but lacking in real substance. Not for me thank you. I would not look good in an apron and I would find the ritual stuff boring. Some masons claim that that freemasonry is not a secret society, but then admit that it does have some secrets. I find it odd how the masons now want to dispel the myths. I was under the impression that the mumbo jumbo was all a part of the mystery and allure as it were.


The Gruffallo's grandfather was a "buff" or buffalo. Part of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes. A similar sort of semi secret society. We have a wonderful picture of him looking quite solemn in his regalia. I tend to think of the Masons being boy scouts and the Buffs being the cubs.

Now, if being a mason is your bag, then good for you. Its a bit like my views on religion, if it works for you then good, but it does not work for me. There have been a few books written about the masons, two of which I read a few years ago just out of curiosity. One was Martin Short's "Inside the Brotherhood" which was quite popular at the time. This was a follow up to "The Secret World of Freemasons" by Stephen Knight.

The idea of being a mason did not strike a cord. As a kid I had to go to church and Sunday school. When I told my mother that I was not enjoying the experience I never had to go again. I watched and listened in my younger days, but it seemed to me that the masons were a bit like Sunday school. My views have not changed. Everyone seemed to be so old, that's the one thing that I remember more than anything else.

Now I know that there are those who see masonic membership as being some sort of threat to society. I don't quite get the same sort of feeling about it myself. But who am I to stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

I just think its a load of old blokes, who have never quite grown up and are kidding themselves, but having a good time doing it. It's a bit like those who do stamp collecting or train spotting most of its done alone. With the odd trip from time to time in their mac's to a convention.

Later... 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.