Thursday, 24 May 2012

The Big One (8-5)

Thursday 24th May 2012


A warm night and the sun was quick to burn off the early morning haze.

Today was planned to include a trip back home to get some paperwork signed off and to pick up some parcels. So I went by rail from Lincoln to Sheffield. On arrival I was feeling quite warm after a brisk walk to the Station. The train was waiting in the platform though most people going on this journey were stood around in the shade on the platform.

I walked onto the train and found that the heating was running flat out and the Guard/ticket inspector was unable to turn the heating off. So our journey was to be by steam! Now I understood why everyone was on stood in the shade on the platform. I picked a seat away from the sunny side of the carriage. As did almost everyone else who boarded the train as we prepared to set off.

Passengers joining the train later, only had the option of sitting on the sunny side. Their discomfort was palpable. Every one of the small windows in the carriage was open and a breeze was mitigating some of the heat. However, each time we stopped the heat soon climbed again.

A group of disgruntled, hot and sweaty passengers alighted in Sheffield. I left the train and walked across town and continued my journey by super tram, which was by comparison a cool and comfortable better option to continuing by train to Meadowhall.

I called in at the marina to catch up on the news and gossip. The sanitary station sluice facilities at the marina had been broken. So some people had taken to emptying their black-water down the normal toilets. This had the effect of backing up and blocking that side of the system as well.

Then I borrowed a car to make the journey home. Picked up the wanted bits and pieces and had a word with some of the neighbours at home. After catching up on the local news at home it was back to the marina. I borrowed a fold up bicycle to try on the boat. I returned by super tram to Sheffield. Cycled to the railway station and joined the train back to Lincoln. It was different rolling stock and the heating was off - so I enjoyed the return trip.

In Lincoln, I cycled from the station to the moorings. The warm sunshine continued but the breeze was cooling.  It was good to be back home aboard Rosie. The visitor moorings in Lincoln are very noisy being located in the student accommodation area of town. Why do our young people feel the need to scream and shout so much at night.

I have a theory, it is to do with the level of the sound in the student pubs. Conversations are conducted by shouting at each other and continue to be conducted in the same way after leaving.

Tomorrow, we will continue our voyage to quieter locations.

Daily Total
Miles: 0.0
Locks: 0
Swing / Lift Bridges: 0
Tunnels: 0
Pump Outs: 0
Engine Hours: 0.

Accumulated Totals
Miles: 736 .1
Locks: 654
Swing / Lift Bridges: 116
Tunnels: 6
Pump Outs: 9
Engine Hours: 2142.1

1 comment:

  1. The moorings outside the waterside centre are much quieter at night. Or the ones just before Stamp End Lock on the stone wall, by the old facilties block.


Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.