Monday 16 April 2012

The Big One (3-2)

Monday 16th of April 2012

Broad Cut Top Lock to Stanley Ferry.

Up bright and early this morning at the break of day. I was awakened by the sound of an old diesel engine. I was laid in bed waiting for Rosie to move around a bit to let me know when the boat was passing. I wanted to get a look at who was the early bird out cruising at dawn. As I waited, I noted that the sound was starting to fade away. So I got up and went to the back door and had a look round. The water was inky smooth and there was no boat in sight. I went to the front door and it was the same view inky black smooth water and no boat in sight.

Now I don't believe in ghosts or any of that type of claptrap. But I would have bet good money on a boat cruising past. So, the only rational explanation was some early morning traffic passing over the bridge near the Navigation pub. Now I only have to figure out what on the road sounds like an old diesel engine. Going "pop pop poppet pop" Alternatively, I could have been dreaming it - but I am one of those people - who knows they have had a dream - but I can never remember what it was about!

We were under way by 9:30 and stopped at Broad Cut Bottom Lock and filled up on the water point. Out onto the river and we had a gentle cruise from that point on. By 13:30 we arrived at the visitor moorings at Stanley Ferry. Just in time for a spot of lunch. However, the weather was so good - we decided to stay here instead on moving on.

Wildlife: We gave a Swan a wake up call as he/she was in the final stages of landing (the water skiing bit with feet projected forward) as we came round a sharp corner. We were both heading for the same bit of water. We missed each other by inches.

We are in the company once more of Nb Lamorna, Nb Beau and Nb Mullien who we had been moored up with at the Mirfield visitor moorings a few days previously.

Poppy can be seen checking the lamp posts.




We are going to try the Brewers Fare (Wacky Warehouse) for a special two for £10 tonight.


If you are  into pugilism have a look at this as a couple of old boys get it on! Click Here





Daily Total
Miles: 5.8
Locks: 4
Swing / Lift Bridges: 1
Tunnels: 0
Pump Outs: 0
Engine Hours: 3.0




Accumulated Totals
Miles: 623.1
Locks: 637
Swing / Lift Bridges: 103
Tunnels: 6
Pump Outs: 8
Engine Hours: 2065.6


Later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.