Wednesday 20 June 2012

The Big One (12-4)

Wednesday 20th June 2012

Braunston turns (Bridge 88) to Braunston Puddle Bank.

Today will be a long day one way or the other, Yes, its the longest day of the year. We awoke to bright sunlight streaming through the windows. Its remained that way for most of the day.


We left our overnight moorings at bridge 88 and one mile later we were moored up for another few days whilst we visit the heritage boat show at Braunston. The solar panels are providing a good amount of amps into the leisure batteries due to the bright sunshine we are enjoying today. 

I have been making up some extra fenders for use when passing through the narrow locks. I have a preference for rope fenders to the plastic ones. Having tried both, the rope type have a longer life and seem to cushion better. However, on some of the narrow locks the rope fenders have made Rosie a tight fit. So now I have four flat 1" thick by 4" wide by 18" long, hard rubber strips threaded onto rope. This gives an extra inch or two of clearance that seems to make all the difference.

In some late breaking news: Apparently, the British armed forces research boffins at Porton Down research centre  have invented a new kind of anti personnel mine in the shape of a prayer mat. Since their introduction in Afghanistan "prophets" have gone through the roof.

You may have seen recently in and on the news that a man with a very bad quality of life after suffering from a stroke is wanting to assert his right to choose an assisted suicide. His wishes are going to be tested in the British courts. So I decided that I should do something in readiness just in case a similar situation was to ever befall me. I thought I could start by gathering some background information. So I went into my local library to make some enquiries. The librarian is very prim and proper so I was very formal.



"Excuse me Miss, do you have any books on suicide?" I asked. She thought for a moment then answered "Yes, I think so, one moment please." She stopped doing her task of stamping the book loans pages. She logged in on the computer to check the books catalogue database. She said, I'm sorry, we only have one copy and it is long overdue for return, so i'm afraid we are still waiting for it to come back!' No surprise there then.

Wildlife: Top spot today was a Kite attacking a Pigeon. The Pigeon managed to make good their escape. We are moored adjacent to a rookery and its quite noisy.



Daily Total
Miles: 1.0
Locks: 0
Swing / Lift Bridges: 0
Tunnels: 0
Pump Outs: 0
Engine Hours: 1.2




Accumulated Totals
Miles: 964.1
Locks: 699
Swing / Lift Bridges: 118
Tunnels: 7
Pump Outs: 10
Engine Hours: 2215.4.0





Later......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.