Friday 3 February 2012

The Boaters Alphabet (L)

This is one of an occasional series of entries into my blog. The "Boaters Alphabet" today's letter is L and is for Lee - The direction toward which the wind blows. A situation where a boat is sheltering from the local weather conditions behind a bigger object.

© Tom D Ringold   Web Site Link
I've been taking pictures "forever" but digital photography has finally allowed me to produce pictures the way I envisioned them. I no longer need to rely on a lab's impression of my rendition. In addition, the freedom to take as many pictures as I feel necessary, as opposed to being restricted by how many exposures on a roll, has allowed me to capture moments and visions I used to miss. - Tom D Ringold

is for lee, the direction toward which the wind blows. A place to take shelter from a biting wind on a cold February day. Hot tea and delicious warm buttered toast, snuggled up in our windproof, showerproof boating garb. Looking like the Michelin Man.

is also for log, not the ships log, this time its a log for the fire. There is no finer place to be, all toasty and warm that comes close to the inside of the boat. Next time a gongoozeler asks is it cold inside the boat in winter, you can answer "it depends where I set the thermostat." Time to fetch another log from the top box. Its a hard life, someone has it to do, today its her turn.


Back to my Kindle and reading The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth.



Lee side - The side of an object that is sheltered from the wind.
Leeway - Slip sideways downwind while moving forward.
List - A continuous lean to one side due to improper weight distribution.
List - An angle associated with the crew when returning after an evening of reverie, in a nearby hostelry.
Locker - A stowage compartment.
Luff - The leading edge of a sail.
Log - a record of the boats activities.


Later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.