Monday, 5 September 2011

Summer/Autumn Cruise (Week 3)

Summer/Autumn Cruise (Week 3)

Monday 5th September 2011
Anchor Lock to East Marton, Old Hall Bridge
Day 15.

This morning we were up and around long before our normal time to rise. This was due to the boat taking on something of a list. I looked out of the window to see that the water which was passing over the bywash last night was now a foot and a half below the bywash lip. I checked the lock sluices and paddles were closed, however there was quite a bit of leakage on the bottom gate and the top gate was open about two of three inches.  I had to go to the next lock and flush some water down to get us off the mud. I sent down about a foot of water before we floated off the mud. When we got to Scarland lock the pound above had dropped about six inches below the bywash lip. There was enough water to let us pass through the pound. At Stegneck Lock I flushed down some more water into the pound below. There was no water passing over the bywash on any of the locks until we reached the bottom of the Bank Newton flight. We tipped off the lock keeper and he sent someone back down to check the levels.

We passed through the Newton Flight without any problems. However the on and off rain showers started when we were half way up the flight. We passed Nb Musn Grumble from Sheffield half way down the flight. They were retracing their steps back along the canal to Sheffield via Leeds and the river Aire due to the continuing stoppage at Barrowford Bottom Lock.

We stopped to take on water at Williamson bridge. As we started to continue our cruise the rain which had been hit and miss in the morning had picked up to a steady downpour. We decided to moor up for the day at the double bridge (161) at East Marton and sit out the rain. Then the wind started to pick up even more. It was so bad that I had to make a wind deflector out of silver foil for the stove chimney. We called it a day and prepared to snuggle down for the night.

I put out extra lines in the form of a spring, this helped to reduce the amount of buffeting by the wind and gave a feeling of extra security. When we tied up for the night I chose a spot in the lee of a bridge which is helping to deflect the full force of the wind.

Later I had a walk round with the bat detector. With the wind and the frequent heavy downpour of rain things did not look good. I was not disappointed when no bats were detected. On a night like this the bats had more sense than me about not being out.

Daily Total
Distance: 3 Miles.
Locks: 8
Swing / Lift Bridges: 0
Tunnels: 0
Pump Outs: 0
Engine Hours: 1838.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.