Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Summer Autumn Cruise 2011 (3-2)

Tuesday 6th September 2011
East Marton to Salterforth
Day 16.

Today looks like we will spend some of our time sitting out the storm which blew in overnight. I was up several times during the night to check the mooring lines but all held secure. I placed a small night light next to each pin so that I would be able to see them without leaving the boat.

The pram cover is a real boon in bad weather as it lets us move even in the heaviest of rain. However it acts as a sail in very windy conditions such as we have at the moment.The weather should give me some time to do a few indoor jobs on Rosie.

Over the last week or so I have been doing a few outside jobs such as attaching a satellite dish mounting on the top box. The wind has given it a good test and it has stood up well. The only time we lost the satellite picture was when the storm clouds blocked the signal.

By 11 am the non stop rain had become infrequent showers and the wind had abated. We were passed by Nb Chance and so we pulled the pins and set off. Things went OK for a while, then just before we reached Grenberfield Bottom Lock the wind returned with a vengeance. We were travelling with about a ten degree angle on the bow just to go in a straight line. As we arrived at the lock, the crew on Nb Chance waved us straight into the lock that they had just set.

We then shared the next three locks together. Due to the strength of the wind we set the next lock on the flight before leaving the one we had just ascended. If the pounds are short this is the best way to progress in strong wind. We waved them farewell at the top. Later we stopped at Lower Park Marina for Diesel  48.3 litres at 83p a litre. (Engine Hours: 1841.7) We also purchased an alloy windlass so that the Memsahib is not weighed down by our usual steel ones.

Double Arched Bridge
We arrived at the visitor moorings at Salterforth about 2:30. It is a well sheltered spot from the wind and so we decided that we've had more than enough excitement for one day. Took the dogs for a walk and stood silently to watch a stoat hunting through the nooks and crannies of a section of drystone wall.

The wind is quite cold so I have lit the wood burning stove again. We are very snug and warm but we were tempted to venture the 50 footsteps to reach the front door of the Anchor pub for a beer. It was a pleasant evening spent with the crew of a Snaygill hire boat and we all watched the England -v- Wales football match.

The Anchor Inn is a historic pub dating back to 1655.  Situated on the bank of the Leeds Liverpool canal (at the 48h visitor moorings) and on one of the old salt roads from Cheshire to Yorkshire, the original pub which is now underground can also be viewed. Together with a spectacular view of stalactites and stalagmites. The Anchor Inn is set in glorious scenery.  The pub has a very homely and attractive atmosphere.
A few boats have passed through whilst we have been here but on the whole it is very quiet. If the weather is favourable we will make a move and do the Foulridge Tunnel tomorrow. Later I went out with the bat detector and walked about a mile down the canal to bridge 150. Just one bat detected a Common Pipistrelle.

Daily Total
Distance: 4.5 Miles.
Locks: 3
Swing / Lift Bridges: 0
Tunnels: 0
Pump Outs: 0
Engine Hours: 1841.7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.