Tuesday, 10 January 2012

The Boaters Alphabet (B)

This is another one of an occasional series of entries into my blog. The "Boaters Alphabet" and todays story comes through the broken window.


is for Bollard, a short tapered post used on a boat or a wharf for mooring to the bank. The best places I have found for such items are outside canal and riverside pubs. On a warm summers evening at the end of a long hot day. Crickets chirp and all is well with the world. A cold beer in your hand and the smell of tasty food that awaits. Its a hard life, but someone has it to do, this time its my turn!

Now what did I do with my knife and fork?

Beam - The point of greatest width of the boat.
Below - Beneath or under the deck.
Bight - The end part of the rope or line and the part, on which a knot is formed.
Bilge - Inside the hull but below the floor boards.
Bitter End - The last part of a rope or chain which is attached to the boat.
Boat - A waterborne a small craft smaller than a ship.
Boat Hook - A short shaft with a hook fitting at one end.
Bow - The forward part of a boat.
Bow line - A line attached or leading from the bow.
Bowline - A type of knot used to form a loop in the end of a line.
Brightwork - Polished metal boat fittings.
Bulkhead - A watertight partition used for separating hull compartments.
Buoy - A float used for marking the position of a hazard or marking a mooring.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.