Saturday 3 December 2011

Holmes and Watson Observations

You know that I have written a couple of letters to the Charity Commission and other places about my concerns over the way that management of the non EA Inland Waterways are about to change. I decided to share my thoughts on one of the various Inland waterways forums. As expected the thrust of the posting was ignored whilst some went off onto a tangent - in the main portraying their own skewed version - of what it was that I had written.

You know that I hold a healthy scepticism about people that frequent such places. I believe that most of the forum clientele are in the main genuine boaters in the sense of wanting to share experiences and knowledge. But there are others who I have written about before, these are the Nitpickers.  The Nitpickers in turn are accompanied by the Naysayers. The Naysayers are in turn supported by the Bullshitters and all seem to be attracted to canal and similar forums. This particular forum is governed with a light touch and that in itself is a good thing as it does not stifle fair comment. All criticism if it is constructive is to be encouraged.

The usual pendant crew provided their usual "tours de force" of nitpicking and misrepresentation. Rather than debate the issues they debate the detail. Debating the detail always sidesteps the issue and takes the conversation off on a tangent.
But there are other forums where management of content is done by approval. This is much more of a worry as it is in my opinion this leads to a form of ethnic cleansing of fair comment and healthy criticism. To be successful in raising a debate in such forums you have to toe the line and not be seen to ask what could be construed as awkward questions.

And now for something almost completely different..

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson went on a narrowboat trip. After sitting out for a while enjoying a good meal and a bottle of wine. Both then settle down for the night and are soon off to sleep. Some hours later, Holmes awoke with a start! With his wonderful powers of deduction he began to pondered on what was to him a very significant problem.

Some time later, he nudged his faithful friend and companion awake and whispered "Watson, old bean, look up and tell me what you see." Watson replied, "I see millions and millions of stars." Holmes enquired of his friend "What does that what you observe tell you?"

Watson pondered for a while before giving his considered reply. "Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three in the morning. Theologically, I can see that God is all-powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you Holmes?"

Holmes was silent for a moment and then he spoke. "Watson, I have listened to your shared thoughts and from those I know that you have been analysing everything in the minutest of detail. Yet you have missed the whole point - we are supposed to sleep inside the narrowboat. It is so obvious, you should never cloud your vision and never nitpick on the detail."

Let the nitpicking commence.

Later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.