Friday 26 December 2014

Myths

Regular readers know that I like to keep the look and feel of the my postings light-hearted, especially as we get towards the Christmas end of the year. A time of goodwill, so this year is no exception. Have you ever wondered why Boxing Day is called Boxing Day? 

I thought it was the day that those fun presents like that - full drum kit - purchased for you by a favourite uncle who was better known for playing practical jokes. A day when the drums had to be packed back in their boxes, ready to return them to the shops. In exchange for something a bit quieter like a jigsaw!
Wikipedia says:- Boxing Day is a holiday traditionally celebrated on the day following Christmas Day, when servants and tradespeople would receive gifts, known as a 'Christmas box' from their bosses or employers.
Well times have changed. My last employer I worked for 25 years. The academic institution owes me quite a backlog of 'Christmas Boxes' numbering roundabout 25!  However, there is an earlier precedent dating from the Middle Ages. Being the time of opening up of the church poor box, to distribute alms to the needy. So maybe I should also go to see the local vicar as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.