Sunday 17 March 2013

Begorrah!

St Patrick's day, is a time of celebration for anyone who is Irish or with Irish ancestors. I count myself amongst the celebrating throng.  My grandfather was blessed with the natural wit and carried the DNA of the Blarney Stone. Here are a few of the quotes by the sons and daughters of Ireland, enjoy their wit!

I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. Oscar Wilde 
I can resist everything but temptation. Oscar Wilde 
As long as a woman can look ten years younger than her daughters, she is perfectly satisfied. Oscar Wilde 
I love scandals about other people, but scandals about myself don’t interest me. They have not got the charm of novelty. Oscar Wilde  
Murder is always a mistake...One should never do anything that one cannot talk about after dinner. Oscar Wilde 
I like Wagner’s music better than anybody’s. It is so loud that one can talk the whole time without people hearing what one says. Oscar Wilde 
There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. Oscar Wilde 
One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that, would tell one anything. Oscar Wilde 
I never saw a man who looked

With such a wistful eye
Upon that little tent of blue
Which prisoners call the sky

Oscar Wilde 
The good end happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what fiction means. Oscar Wilde
I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train. Oscar Wilde
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.  Oscar Wilde
Man always wants to be a women’s first love. Women have a more subtle instinct:What they like is to be a man’s last romance. Oscar Wilde
The most important things to do in the world are to get something to eat, something to drink and somebody to love you. Brendan Behan 
The big difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money usually costs a lot less. Brendan Behan 
I am a drinker with writing problems. Brendan Behan 
One drink is too many for me and a thousand not enough. Brendan Behan 
Other people have a nationality. The Irish and the Jews have a psychosis. Brendan Behan 
There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary. Brendan Behan 
I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan 
I only drink on two occasions -- when I'm thirsty and when I'm not Brendan Behan 
When I came back to Dublin I was court-martialed in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence. Brendan Behan 
No strangers here, just friends you haven't met! Brendan Behan

Education is not filling William Butler Yeats 
The intellect is forced to choose: Perfection of the life, or of the work. William Butler Yeats 
The worst thing about some men is that when they are not drunk they are sober. William Butler Yeats 
A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces but also by the men it honours  the men it remembers. John F. Kennedy 
I think the Irish woman was freed from slavery by bingo. They can go out now, dressed up, with their handbags and have a drink and play bingo. And they deserve it. John B. Keane 
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. Oliver Goldsmith
Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch, which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.  George Bernard Shaw 
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations. George Bernard Shaw 
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. George Bernard Shaw 
Newspapers are unable, seemingly, to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilisation. George Bernard Shaw 
A man who loses his money gains, at the least, experience, and sometimes, something better. George Bernard Shaw 
The only man I know who behaves sensibly is my tailor. He takes my measurements anew each time he sees me. The rest go on with their old measurements and expect me to fit them.  George Bernard Shaw 
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.  George Bernard Shaw 
A life making mistakes is not only more honourable  but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all. George Bernard Shaw 
When I die I want to decompose in a barrel of porter and have it served in all the pubs in Ireland. J. P. Dunleavy 
I'm troubled, I'm dissatisfied. I'm Irish! Marianne Moore 
No human being believes that any other human being has a right to be in bed when he himself is up. Robert Lynd 
Praise, like gold and diamonds, owes its value only to its scarcity. Samuel Butler 
The Irish are a fair people; they never speak well of one another. Samuel Johnson 
Every man of genius is considerably helped by being dead. Robert Lynd 
All I ever seemed to get was the kind of girl who had a special dispensation from Rome to wear the thickest part of her legs below the knee. Hugh Leonard 
There is an Irish way of paying compliments as though they were irresistible truths which makes what would otherwise be an impertinence delightful. Katherine Tynan Hinkson 
A lament in one ear, maybe, but always a song in the other. Sean O'Casey 
At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely. W. Somerset Maugham 
One wonders in this place, why anyone is left in Dublin, or London, or Paris where it would be better, one would think to live in a tent or hut, with this magnificent sea and sky, and to breathe this wonderful air which is like wine in one's teeth. J. M. Synge 
May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

An old Irish proverb 
May those who love us, love us.

For those who don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if God can't turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping!
An old Irish proverb
Laughter is brightest where food is best.

An old Irish proverb
May you be forty years in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead.
An old Irish proverb

Sásta Lá Fhéile Pádraig!!

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.