Friday 2 September 2011

Summer Autumn Cruise 2011 (2-5)


Friday 2nd of September 2011.
Day 12 Skipton.

I keep asking myself the same question over and over again and again. OK, let me get it off my chest. It's to do with swing bridge mooring points. Almost without exception every mooring point on the Leeds to Liverpool canal between Leeds and Skipton is on the wrong side of the canal for anyone single handing a boat. Now call me old and cynical - OK you can stop now - but getting it wrong once is something I would expect from BW, but getting it wrong every time is either sheer incompetence or something done deliberately.
Whilst I am on the subject of swing bridge moorings, on the Leeds Liverpool canal, why does every landing point seem to have at least one boat moored permanently on it as well. The problem is very bad around Skipton with all the hire boats. Yesterday afternoon I watched one boat tie up on the water point. It was still in the same place the next morning. This however was not a hire boat but someone who should know better.

Went out with the bat detector and observed 5 Daubentons and 3 Pipistrelle bats hunting over the canal. Warm tonight overcast night at 13C seems to have brought the bats out in good numbers. 

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.